Wilson Elser Hosts Job/Interview Training Workshop for Military
On September 24, 2012, Wilson Elser hosted a Job/Interview Training Workshop, for active or veteran military personnel, in the firm’s Midtown Manhattan office. The event was designed to educate attendees of their legal rights as military, as well as to help them translate their military experience into civilian nomenclature that accurately articulates the skills they developed in their military posts.
The day’s programming included:
- Thomas Hyland (Partner-New York) welcoming the participants
- Melissa Ventrone (Associate-Chicago) providing an overview and leading a discussion about the laws protecting military personnel from discrimination
- Guest media trainers leading a session on message mapping – a technique used to crystallize messages and to keep job interviews focused
- A panel discussion with Wilson Elser attorneys and professional staff with and without military experience including Thomas Leghorn (Partner-New York) and Larry Brennan (Partner-New York) Lori Nugent (Partner-Chicago) and Margaret Luberda, Director of Human Resources
- Mock interviews that incorporated messaging participants derived from the mapping exercise
The goal of the workshop was to assist participants' successful transition from military service to good civilian jobs. Active military and veterans from all branches of the military were invited to participate.